Thursday 11 April 2013

Blog Spring Clean


Copyright © Games Workshop.
Today I spent the good part of three hours going through my list of blogs that I originally started following.

To my surprise several had decided to shift their blogs to an 'invite only' readership, thus locking me out. Fair play - they were the first to be deleted. I then turned my attention to those blogs that hadn't posted for a year, and from there it was a simple process of working backwards. Some had even been removed by their creators, which made my job easier.



So now I have a more streamlined selection of blogs I follow, but what I have noticed is that my original concept of writing about everything I knew and loved about the traditional pencil & paper role playing game worlds had somehow turned on it axis and morphed into a blog more focused on my writing, visiting other writers' blogs and exploring non-related rpg topics.

This was made more apparent by the absence on my blog being included in the blog lists of the majority of role playing game blogs I was following - so they went the way of delete. I have remained faithful to those following me. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

So, a big THANK YOU to all those bloggers out there who have placed my blog in their 'blogs to follow' listing :)

Seems I have bloggers/writers, digital artists and the odd scattering of gamer blogs now left in my blog list. Happy days. No more dead wood :)

My next line of thought is what to do about my blog appearance? It's look was designed for the role playing demographic, but obviously it's gone beyond that now. So what to do? New colour scheme? Total revamp of the blog look? I'm really not sure?

This is where I turn to my blogofs in hope of common sense suggestions and ideas. Feel free to chip in - but I won't do pink. I flat out refuse to have pink!

9 comments:

ERIC! said...

I am glad I made the cut!

ERIC!

Anonymous said...

It's always good to have a clean out of blogs now and then but things aren't always black & white. For instance, for some reason about a year ago I lost the ability to delete blogs I am following, which prevents me from removing some from my maxed out following list in order to add new blogs.

To get around this I have created on my blog a list of blogs I like to read but sadly am unable to follow. These blogs of course don't appear on my dashboard. It's frustrating getting new followers and not being able to follow their blogs in return. Just another inconsistent quirk of Blogger software.

Wayne Assiratti said...

Nice to see I made the cut too Mark! I am thinking of having a bit of a clean out too. I changed the look of mine about six months ago and are starting to think about having another swing at it as I'm getting a bit better at the HTML side. I'm also thinking of doing another blog around opinion pieces on current affairs, but just have to get of my ass to put it together.

As for your layout, maybe go for a lighter colour scheme. Maybe blue or something...?

Elise Fallson said...

Damn. I was going to suggest pink. :P

ERIC! said...

Ran into the same problem.

ERIC!

Cursed Armada said...

I'm thinking about revamping my own look as well... Perhaps it does have something to do with spring!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Dear Lord man, don't do pink!
I go through my blogs on occasion. (Not this month - co-hosting the Challenge is insane enough.) I also look for those who haven't posted in a long while, because often when they quit, a company snatches their site and I'm suddenly following ads.
The focus of my blog has changed over the years, despite the fact I've always been a writer and author. Only natural yours would change as well.

Deborah Walker said...

I follow a million blogs. So many that I can't focus on the ones I want. And many have been taken over by ads for holidays to Turkey.

But I can't work out how do this. I've tried unfollowing in Google Reader and Feely and it doesn't seem to work.

How did you do it, Mark?

Cursed Armada said...

Just did my spring cleaning, and I must say it feels a lot better over on the ol' cursed armada blog. Hey btw I never updated you but I ended up buying the bamboo splash tablet. I haven't gotten too much time to fool around with it but I'm excited.